Saturday, February 14, 2009

Leave Leukemia & Lymphoma in the dust!


I need to ask a favor of my readers ... I need to you help my good friends, Mitzi & Jill. They are on their way to completing a large goal and they'll be doing a lot of good for charity along the way.

This summer, in June, Mitz & Jilly will be running in the Seattle Marathon! I don't even like to drive 26.2 miles in my car ... but they will be RUNNING the whole 26.2! Last October, the two of them ran the Kansas City half-marathon and it motivated them to train for a whole one. I was cheering my girls on from the virtual side-lines because for the KC race, I was helping Ashley & Drew celebrate their BIG day! I hope to be able to cheer them on in person this summer! That is the goal I'm setting for myself.

They are training for the run with Team In Training, which is a division of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. They will be working to raise $4,100 each to help fight these blood cancers. If they raise that amount, they will be able to fly & stay with the team to be fully prepared for the big run. The great thing is that most of their raised money goes directly to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Here are a few facts about Leukemia & Lymphoma and TNT for those of you that aren't familiar:

  • This group has been around for 21 years!
  • TNT is the world's largest endurance sports training program, providing coaching and support for people to cross the finish line at marathons, half marathons, triathlons and 100-mile cycling events.
  • Since it started, over 360,000 participants have raised more than $850 million for lifesaving cancer research and to help blood cancer patients live longer, better lives.
  • Every 5 minutes, someone new is diagnosed with Leukemia or Lymphoma. Every 10 minutes, someone dies from one of these blood diseases.
Here is how you can help to make a difference!

Mitzi is running for our good friend, Andrew Naylor, who was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma a few years ago. He had a difficult battle and now thanks to research & treatment options, he now has a clean bill of health. Jill is running for the team's honor patient, Greg Kutey, a local husband & father three kids who is fighting his own battle.

Here are the links to the girls' websites where you can make a donation. Any amount helps! Both girls were asking for donations of just $14 today in honor of Valentine's Day. Of course, you can donate more than that if you'd like. If you look at their pages, you can see that the girls are well on their way to making a difference in the fight toward ending these blood cancers! Every dollar makes a difference!

Mitzi's Team In Training Site: http://pages.teamintraining.org/mid/rnrseatl09/mpetersaay

Jill's Team In Training Site: http://pages.teamintraining.org/mid/rnrseatl09/jchittum

I've been told that if the girls surpass their total goal of $8,200 ... they'll take me with them as a traveling member of the Campaign Committee. After all ... they'll need some someone to take pictures, blog about the run, and encourage them to eat more pasta (as if any of us needed an excuse to do that)!

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for any donations to them ... I want to do what I can to support the girls to show them how proud I am of their hard work!

Pin It!

No comments: