Friday, April 30, 2010

Yes, I realize it's almost summer ...

... and I realize people don't really eat chili in the summertime, but I still wanted to share this recipe!

It's one of my favorites and it's super healthy, too! Chili Mac. I found it on the Weight Watchers recipe share page years ago, and I always come back to it. I've changed a few things from the original recipe, so I'll make those notes, too.

Ingredients:
* 12 oz ground beef. {I use ground turkey and whatever amount comes in the tray in the meat section. I don't worry about the ounces too much.}
* 1 medium onion chopped {For some reason, I've been buying a red onion all this time. Don't know if it makes a difference.}
* 14.5 oz can of stewed tomatoes, Mexican style, undrained.
* 2 Tbsp canned green chili peppers, diced & undrained. {These come in a small can & I usually just pour the whole can in.}
* 2 tsp chili powder.
* 1 tsp ground cumin {I add more for extra flavor.}
* 1 cup dry wheat elbow pasta. {I use regular Radiatore pasta because I think it adds some extra weight to the chili.}
* 15 oz can of kidney beans, rinsed & drained.
* 1 1/4 cup canned tomato sauce. {You have to buy 2 small cans and I put both in.}


In a skillet, cook meat & onions until they are browned (about 10 minutes). {I use my large "pasta" pot since I don't have a skillet large enough for all of this.}

Then, stir in stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili peppers, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil.

The stir in your pasta and kidney beans. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

I can normally portion this out into 5 or 6 servings and the little servings fill you up for a long time. Weight Watchers says that a 1 1/4 cup serving is 4 WW points. That might be a bit off since I don't use wheat pasta, but I do use ground turkey, which should help that.
Enjoy! I'm sure this all freezes well, too if you wanted to cook in advance. Let me know what you think about it if you do decide to make this yummy Chili Mac! :)

Pin It!

3 comments:

Marie Hooker said...

Looks yummy- will try it!

The Lunds said...

As Erik said, "she can make this, but she can't make turkey burgers? What is wrong with her?"
You've come a long way in your cooking!

Bets said...

Maybe I'll make the turkey burgers when it doesn't mean that I have to eat said turkey burgers for 15 consecutive meals. I'll make them for a night with friends!