Friday, July 4, 2008

Rhubarb Crisp: Step-by-step

A while back, I blogged about Molly making some yummy rhubarb crisp, and many of you seemed interested! The recipe comes from Martha's Everyday Foods (of course) and it fairly easy to make! I'm not a good cook, by any means, and if I can make it, you can, too!

So, about two weeks ago, Molly and I spent a few hours in the kitchen cooking away. I took pictures at the time, and now I finally have a chance to share them!

The beginning! Aren't these colors gorgeous together? We decided to mix this crisp with strawberries, too. I don't think I've ever seen rhubarb in the raw form before. It looks like celery, and I just cut it up into small pieces. This is a 9x9 pan just for reference.

Sprinkled with sugar only (I think) at this point. It really got the juices to start coming out of the fruit. See those onions in the bottom? Those were roasted and were really good, too!

Combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and oats at this point. Stir up as best as you can.

Add some small bits of butter to that mixture and sprinkle it to cover the fruit. Those are my hands! See? I can bake!! :)

The finished product! SOOOOOOO good. I recommend to enjoy when it is still a little bit warm, and with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.

I wanted to also include pictures from the rest of the cooking that went on.

This is the cabbage that I took apart leaf by leaf and cleaned. Isn't it beautiful! I love the range of green colors that unfolded with each layer.

And here is the slaw I made with it. We added dried cranberries, apple chunks, maybe some nuts and a poppyseed dressing. It was really good!

Here is Molly slaving away at the stove!

She asked Erik to bring home some chicken breasts to pan fry and he brought 4 of the biggest pieces of chicken we've ever seen! She had to pound them down to get thin enough for her to cook correctly. It took 2 big pans to do it, but it was REALLY good!

Here's the third member of our cooking team. He's watching the TV to make sure that it doesn't spontaneously explode and cause smoke to come into the kitchen so we can no longer cook. He was a HUGE help! ;)

Hmmmm ... after I've written all of this, I think it's time to make it all again! I'll see what sorts of fruits and veggies I pick up from their local farmers today!

Pin It!

No comments: