Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Did anyone else see these?

These marble kinetic sculptures were at the Plaza Art Fair this last weekend, and I was AMAZED by them! I didn't get a chance to go to the art fair and see all the art booths due to Minnie's mishap on Saturday, but I did see these Saturday night when I went to meet Kristin down there.


These moving sculptures are like the grown-up version of the game, Mouse Trap! The marbles move through coils, ramps, jumps and chains to make their way through the sculpture. When I was there, I talked to the artist, Jeffrey Zachmann, and he told me that he can make a sculpture in just a few days or a few weeks depending on it's size. When I was shocked by "just a few days", he told me he's been making them since he was 8 years old.

If you get a chance to go check out his website, you can see some better pictures of the sculptures. Some of the larger ones look like they are about a story tall! There are also videos of some of the "machines" working! Enjoy!

Pin It!